In 1889 a mission station was founded at Mvera by Revv. A.C. Murray and T.C.B. Vlok to minister to the Achewa. Despite many setbacks, this mission action expanded quickly. In 1897 the first group of 19 converts were baptized.
The Church of Central Africa Presbyterian, known as the CCAP, was founded in 1924. It started as a result of the mission work that was done by two Scottish churches in northern and southern Malawi. In 1926 the DRC’s missionary action in the central part of Malawi became part of the CCAP Nkhoma presbytery. In 1959 the presbyteries Nkhoma, Blantyre and Livingstonia became independent regional synods of the General Synod of the CCAP. In 1962 the Mission Board of the DRC transferred the management of all property to the Nkhoma Synod.
The Mission’s Department of the Nkhoma Synod (established in 1999) reaches out to Muslims in Malawi and plants churches in Mozambique. The CCAP Kaninga congregation in particular is actively involved in mission work in Mozambique and supports evangelists there.
In 2003 the Nkhoma Synod and the DRC family in the Cape region established a partnership agreement which was facilitated by Witness Ministry.
Today, the Nkhoma Synod consists of 23 presbyteries, 185 congregations and close to two thousand congregation wards (prayer houses). The church has more than one million full members and about 200 000 catechumens who are ministered by more than 200 ministers. Many congregations are still vacant.
The Women’s Guild, the Chigwirizano, has more than 300 000 members and renders a special service function, especially in terms of caring for those in need.
Ds. Vasco Kachipapa
+265 175 4448